ARB Locker Tech
ARB Air Lockers is a driver controlled differential lock actuated by pushing a dash mounted button. In only one tenth of a second compressed air actuates a piston inside the differential which engages a locking gear, instantly locking the differential and directing drive torque to the wheels with maximum traction. The differential lock is a simply disengaged by, again, pushing the button.
Many types of traction devices have been available for years, but until the ARB all were a compromise, performing well either off the road or on the road, but not on both. The ARB provides normal differential action on the highway, maintaining safe, predictable handling. Once off road, by simply pushing the buttons, the ARB lock the axles together providing 100% traction to all wheels allowing you to safely traverse even the most difficult terrain.
It has been said that differential locks are only for the hard-core off roaders, but this is certainly not true. Any four wheel drive becomes a joy to drive fitted with ARB’s, allowing you to tackle off road situations with confidence, at a much slower and safe pace. Without differential locks, when one wheel loses traction, all the driving torque transfers to the wheel leaving it spinning helplessly. With the ARB Air Locker activated you will simply drive out of these situations. We have them ready to ship, these ARB manufactured lockers have a number of features and benefits, they are:
- Driver controlled, push button actuation for 100% instant traction.
- Air Locker does not have a higher wear rate or require more maintenance then a standard differential
- Patented design has proven to be ultra reliable, and conclusively shown by an exhaustive Nissan durability test program.
Air Locker does not have an adverse effect on tires, transmissions or handling in highway operation unlike automatic and limited slip differentials
- Air Locker is silent in operation unlike most automatic type locking differentials
- When engaged the Air Locker will not allow one wheel on a drive axle to spin hopelessly while the other wheel remains motionless. Full power is transmitted to both wheels.
- Up to 100% stronger than the stock differential in most cases
For more information on different kinds of differentials check out the Differentials Explained page in the Tech section.