From JeepTech and JeepTech Publishing LLC, the Jeep knowledge base.
|All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.|
I get confused every time I remove a Warn (aka Saturn) over drive from a Dana 18 transfer case that was in a Jeep or Scout 80. Looking at the exploded view from Advanced Adapters helps, but sometimes I still get it wrong and I have to figure it out all over again. I figured if I wrote up the procedure, I wouldn't forget again and at least I'd have something to look up.
- Remove the five bolts that run through the case of the over drive with a 9/16" socket.
- Pry the over drive case away from the Dana 18 case. Keep in mind that the gasket sealer and the bearing that rides in the planetary hub assembly may fight a bit.
- Remove special snap ring that is behind and can be seen through the planetaries.
- Remove the special lock washer that is behind the snap ring with some needle nose pliers.
- Use long 1/2" extension to remove planetary hub assembly from transmission output shaft.